As with all good diving watches, Breilting has added critical safety features to the bezel:
- Unidirectional or one-way rotating bezel, which ensures the diver will not turn the bezel the wrong way and confuse diving time.
- The rotating bezel is highly prominent due to its red color with bold white numerals and indices making read out in murky conditions a breeze.
- The bezel is created with internal indents allowing the bezel to ratchet when turning enabling it to catch thereby, aligning the pointer precisely to where the minute hand is pointing.
- The outer edges of the bezel is notched allowing a diver to turn the bezel even while wearing gloves or underwater.
- The bezel is easy to turn.
All Breitlings are Chronometers.
All Superocean Chronographs are Breitlings
All Superocean Chronographs are Chronometers
What I am getting at is - when one buys a Breitling one is assured the movement has undergone all the rigorous testing criteria required by the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres or COSC to be deemed a Chroneometer. Read more info about Chronometers.
The dial of the watch is highly suited for diving. The sapphire crystal is extra thick; the hour markers and over sized hands are coated in luminescence (glow-in-the-dark); the crystal is treated on both sides with a glare proof substance; the crown is screw-locked with two gaskets (increasing water resistance); back is screwed in and safety push pieces are only activated when unlocked. I don't see any mention of an Helium valve which is a good idea when scuba diving.
The movement is a highly efficient automatic Caliber 13, which utilizes an ETA Valjoux 7750 base movement housed in a 44 mm steel case and capable of a 42 hour power reserve.
1/4th second chronograph, as well as a 30-minute and 12-hour totalizers are distinctly placed on the dial. A date aperture is located at the 3 'o'clock position. The watch is also available with various rubber and leather straps. The watch weighs in at 136.50 grams, which may be a tad heavy for some, but no surprise there, Breitling watches are known for their heftiness, which some people find quite appealing. (I know! I've asked!).